Friday, December 5, 2008

Food Friday-Turkey Bolognese

Ever wonder what to do with all of your leftover turkey?? My husband made this one year and it was so good!!!! I couldn't find his original recipe but I found one like if off of Rachel Ray website:

Turkey Bolognese

3 pounds of left over turkey (dark meat preferably) in bite size pieces.
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
2 medium carrots (chopped)
2 onions, grated or finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, grated
Salt and black pepper
1 bay leaf, fresh or dry
2 cups chicken stock, regular or low sodium stock
2 cans crushed tomatoes (28 ounces each), regular or low sodium
1 pound whole wheat spaghetti or regular is fine
1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano or Romano cheese

Preparation
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for pasta. Pre-heat a large Dutch oven or deep pot over medium-high heat with about 1/4 cup EVOO, 3-4 turns of the pan. Add in the turkey. Cook till warm, then add the carrots, onions and garlic into the pot or finely chop and stir in. Season liberally with salt and pepper, add bay leaf and cook five minutes more; then stir in the stock and the tomatoes. Bring up to a bubble, then drop the heat to low and simmer while you cook another 5-6 minutes more. Salt water and cook pasta to al dente, with a bite to it. Place the pasta back into the warm pot you cooked it in. Toss pasta with cheese and two cups of the sauce. Serve pasta in shallow bowls with an extra ladle of sauce on top. Serve pasta supper with a green salad.Cool the leftover sauce and store in refrigerator.
This is one of many "Yum-o!" recipes – it's good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael's nonprofit organization, go to http://www.yum-o.org/.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

sorry for the random comment but i wanted to write back and was not sure if you would go to my blog again ;)

yeah i did used to live in OK it took me a few minutes to remember who you were but then when i did i was like duh!! haha so i see you have had another baby!! congrats i am sure you seen i had another also lol so how have you been?

Jill said...

My email sends me comments so I responded to that, so you may get an email from me too! We are all well...can't believe you have 5! Then again I still can't believe that I have 4! It is good to hear from you..I am going to add you to the blogs I follow so I can keep up with you! You all look like you are doing well...your babies are so cute!