Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Cleaning made easy

Anyone that knows me knows that I like to keep my home looking nice and neat (all though it is not always that way...i do get behind!). With four kids all under the age of 9 I am ALWAYS ALWAYS cleaning and doing laundry.

It seems as if it NEVER ends! And sometimes having the modivation to do the same thing over and over is somewhat difficult. But in my mind I know if I don't do it....I am in for an even bigger mess tomorrow!!! And that stresses me out! So, what I want to do is offer some tips that I use to get your home into ship shape (or somewhat close!).

1.My first and favorite tip is dump the clutter!! Clutter really bugs me, it just takes up space and gets in the way. If you are not using it, and have not used it in a long time chances are you won't...it will just sit there and take up space. I suggest giving it away or donating it. If it can be used again why not. If it is broken and you have not fixed it see if it can be recycled.

2. Keep collectable items down to a minimum. If you have 15 of an item pick your top 5 depending on how large/small and display them in a case.

3. Keep your cabinets cleaned off. The first thing I do after getting the kids to school is to put everything back up in its place. That way when I do go to cooking I dont have to worry about making space to do so! I keep my appliances, canisters, and a few pretty nick nacks and that is it!

4. Everything has a place. If I did not do this my home would be so messy...not to mention it would be hard to find things. Also, it makes cleaning easy....you put it where it goes and you arent just putting it in a pile wherever it will fit!

5. Clean out closets/dressers/rooms every time the seasons change. Donate what does not fit or you simply don't wear bc you dont like it. Get rid of toys/clutter things that you are no longer using. When you go to clean you wont have so much stuff to clean up! I recently went through all of my kids rooms (closets, dressers, toys...ect) and I got rid of so much junk. I minimized their toys to their favorite things, organized everything, and now when they go to clean everything has a place and they are not just in total chaos. It is hard to clean when everything is so overwhelming.....especially for a child.

6. Give yourself a weekly project....for example...clean out the fridge, microwave, or pantry. Things that we don't think of on day to day basis. I know sometime I open my fridge and think gosh I need to clean that thing....but I get so caught up in everything else that it rarely gets done!

7. Have a cleaning day. Every Friday I try to make my house "company clean". I do it on Friday b/c I want a clean house for the weekend. I don't want to have to spend all weekend picking up. And also if company happends to come over...which usually happends....I am good to go and don't have to stress out!

If you are a person who has a hard time getting rid of things...or buys too many uneeded things here is a great modivatinal bible verse that I often think back to when I am trying to declutter:

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:19-21

Happy cleaning all! Jill

1 comment:

Michelle said...

good one for me to remember!